Week 2 Assignment #1
From viewing the ELA instructional video on Vimeo, I happened to find it very informative and a thorough breakdown on what the ELA system is and with how it operates. During the course of the video, I learned how the English Language Arts system is broken down into different sections that cover specific areas that help make up the whole. I learned grades K thru 5 covers reading, writing, speaking, listening, and language courses across the curriculum, while grades 6 thru 12 covers subjects such as history/social studies, science, and other technical subjects that may apply. All in all, during the course of watching the video I also learned that the core of the ELA system, has to do with not only the text complexity of what your are reading but how well you understand what you're reading on the whole.
Week 2 Assignment #2
In the video for Assignment #2, it pretty much demonstrated to me how a kindergarten teacher teaches her students in both English and other languages and how these actions manifest themselves through the different activities the teacher lets her students engage in in order to enable them to freely read, write, and express themselves. The video managed to sum up in 3 minutes the play by play that gets students to become a little more advanced hour by hour, which in turn end up becoming the teacher's ultimate goal by the end of the day.
Week 2 Assignment #3
From reading the sample lesson plan, depending on which grade it may apply to may depend on whether or not if it is just the appropriate amount of school work given or if it might be considered a classic case of information overload. Students having to read a wide range of print and non print texts, and having to comprehend them at a breakneck speed might be a little too much for a student in Kindergarten but for a 4th or 5th grade student, it might be reasonable. Starting a 5 or 6 year old kid off with these kinds of assignments may not be the wisest of decisions to make since I feel not every kid is meant to be a child prodigy. When you push them too far, the results may end up producing an adverse effect on the student psychologically as well as academically. I personally feel slow and steady wins the race. A student has to have enough breathing room while learning the ropes at a regular pace before they begin to grow into his or her own academically. Once that begins to happen, then you can hit the accelerate button.
Earl,
ReplyDeleteHi, I liked your post because it reminded me to notice the age group in which this series of lessons is thought to be for. I am secondary education certified so for me it's difficult to look at an elementary lesson and see what is age appropriate. I did think this lesson sequence was quite much for a kindergartner to accomplish as well. I definitely agree this would be a great series of activities for an older elementary class.
Nicely said Earl! It's very important for the teacher to remember that not every student is at the same level. Overwhelming the students can definitely have a negative effect on them in the long run. Many students who are overwhelmed simply stop trying. Of course this is what teachers want to avoid. Therefore, it's important to be aware of how much information is being given to the students that is actually necessary for them to know.
ReplyDeleteI also found the amount of work extremely high for a K-2 student. I find it hard to assess these kinds of lessons (not an elementary teacher), but some of them seem unrealistic, since even my 6th graders have a hard time when asked to do some of the things that this lesson plan asks for.
ReplyDeleteYou brought up a valid point- one which I had not put much thought into. There sure is substance in what you are saying that without "breathing space" education can have an adverse reaction on the child. That is something educators must be waware of at all times
ReplyDeleteGreat point on the "engagement activities." Many times, teachers are challenged to come up with learning activities that can really engage students' learning. Therefore, careful assessment and plan developmental appropriately instructional activities are essential to students' meaningful learning. Good job! :D
ReplyDelete